Sunburnt Orange Olive Oil Cake
1 cup honey
1 cup raw coconut sugar
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 tbsp. Batistini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ cup of fresh orange juice
¼ cup of raw coconut sugar
- Cut the bottom and top of the 2 oranges, and slice into quarters. Boil in 6 cups of water with the orange rims facing down, over medium high heat. Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together the 1 cup of raw coconut sugar and 1 cup of honey in a small bowl. Add 1 cup of that mixture to the saucepan with the oranges. Add 4 cups of water back into the saucepan, as well. Boil until the rims of the oranges are soft, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Remove the oranges from the saucepan and allow cooling. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once cooled, blend the oranges in a food processor. In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour mixture, orange puree, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add olive oil. Mix until batter is completely smooth with no bumps.
- Grease pan with olive oil and dust with flour. Pour batter into 10” pan and bake 45-50 minutes. (We covered our with Aluminum foil for the first 15 minutes.) Allow cooling